Saturday, March 1, 2008

Today's thoughts (first substantive post)

I've gotten in a lot of classic TPIR lately -- in fact, between Richie and Jay and, soon, Eddie, I've got 20 episodes sitting here to watch.  What do I mean by classic TPIR?  I like the more modern incarnations, but classic TPIR is what I grew up with.  It has certain elements that feel comforting, like eating one of your mother's home cooked dishes.  Classic TPIR has

  • Dian, Holly, and Janice
  • Announcers shown on camera -- Johnny O or Rod Roddy
  • "Stay tuned for more pricing games and the fabulous showcases, all on the second half of The Price is Right", along with the light box and the fading TPIR logo
  • Showcase podia with the Goodson-Todman asterisks
  • The shot at the big wheel with the contestant in the pointer on the left side of the screen
  • "Come on down" shots that focus in on a random audience member, then pull back
  • Creative pricing games like Bump, Superball, Hit Me, and Give or Keep
  • I can still hum the music -- "Contestants not appearing on stage will receive..."
And there's probably more.  It's the little things.  The show seems more consistent, more lighthearted than the modern versions.  I don't mind watching the later Bob years.  I enjoy Drew, and I'm glad the show is still on.  I'm going to see it later this month.  But oh, do I really like a good OC episode from, say, 1983.

No comments: